Modern Interior design styles might be a choice for many, but love for Antiques can never be outdated. Let’s explore the 7 bold reasons amongst the in-numerous others for this.
1. Elegance Vs Boldness
Classical Interiors move from micro level detailing to macro level patterns. Each and every corner is decorated with delicate natural elements influenced by Flora & Fauna. Fragility of shapes & their relativity with God’s creation – ‘Nature’ is the soul of Classical beauty. Modern Interiors are attempts to break this goodie feel into more realistic forms from day to day life. Their love for machinery is best exhibited in modern interiors.
2. Rigidity Vs Free flowing Geometry
Strength of a Classical Baroque Design style in Interiors is
its rigid Geometrical pattern. Modern Interiors believe in flow of vision. An
onlooker will feel contented looking at an Antique interior design for its hold
in symmetry & patterns while in Modern Interiors he will be continuously
amazed by the changing meaning of the space as he moves in it.
3. Maximalist Vs Minimalist
Classical Interiors purely believes in filling every space available with its influential patterns, attractive elements & elegant shapes. While the floor carpet is heavily geometric & non reflective, the molded ceilings & capitals of columns add intricacy. Crowded is the word used by simplicity lovers for this ambiance. Exactly contrasting to this, modern interiors are minimalist with a lot of breathing space, scope for interpretation & peace of mind. Sleekness, un-carved edges, cleaner & reflective floors & walls, bold but small focal elements mark these relaxed spaces.
4. Elements Vs Volumes
While the royal elements play key role in creating the
aesthetic appeal of an Antique Interior Design, Modern interiors firmly believe
in play of volumes to create an impactful beauty. Common amongst the two
contrasting philosophies is the play of Shadows. While classical elements create
shadows at micro level, modern masses play with voids & volumes.
5. Literal Vs Applied Carpentry
Classical Interiors carry the primitive carpentry joints
with pride & elegance. Modern Interiors believe in hiding the joints to
keep the design focus on its volumes & shapes.
6. Subtle Vs Bright colours
Antique Interiors use pastel shades but in larger surfaces,
while modern interiors use colours brightly but obey the minimalist discipline.
7. Natural textures Vs Stark textures
Classical Interiors value the raw appeal of natural material like wood, stone, rustic metal, worn off paints etc. Modern Interiors use glasses, Mirrors, leather, fur etc for textural appeal along with natural textures. This is a mere reflection of respect for the available materials in the era when the specific style was in its bloom.
These are not all, but are enough to mark the differences between Antique Interiors that believe in “More is Less”…. While its Modern counterpart has proved that “Less is More”.
In a University Convocation Ceremony, the Chief Guest asked, “What is the significance of the documents called Degree OR Diploma?” He continued answering it,” It’s just a receipt of the expenses made to achieve it. It’s worth only when the education acquired through it is utilized in the growth of an individual & there by a society”
Excel Interior Design Institute has taken the path of establishing Field ready Interior Designers. All along this journey of six years we have come across few specific segments of the society, aspiring for entering into a professional career. Here i would like to share the benefits of becoming an Interior Designer trained through the practical perspective to these specific segments:
Civil Engineering is one of the most respectful branches of Engineering.
Those who find their placements in progressing construction companies are
contented. But others, who intend to be Self Employed, find themselves at a
crossroad. For them Interior designing
is a great career option with following benefits:
Self-Dependent progressive career.
Higher scope for Creativity.
Due to urbanization, scope of Interior design is increasing multiple times.
Relatively less field runs, so a preferred integration for girls.
2. Home Maker who wished to contribute with her Education:
Thought of a 10 am – 6 pm job is scary for those who have started re-thinking about their career after few years of marriage. Interior Design as a choice for career brings following advantages:
Strong sense of self identity.
Their style quotient can add strength to the profession.
Professional & Financial Independence
Creative field with growth & joy of innovating every day.
Free Lancing is possible, they can decide their work schedule to suite their family commitments.
3.Drop Outs from any field:
Dropping out is not Failing at all.
Rather it’s about knowing what you don’t want. If they are creatively inclined, then Interior
design poses several benefits for them:
Regained sense of strength.
Takes only 2-years to become a field ready professional, if matching with the pace of the batch, is a concern.
Financial independence is fast achieved.
Respectable, innovative & continuously growing field of creativity handled every day.
4. Fine Artists:
Connecting with ART is connecting with GOD. With a developed sense of aesthetics the Fine Artists can rule the world of Beauty. Then why restrict it to a few paintings, pottery, sculptures or murals? Why not create a complete environment filled with joy of colours & creativity by becoming an Interior Designer?
With the advent of print media, there are fewer takers for original piece of Art.
Interior Design is a regular flow of work that will integrate the Art with Functionality & impart greater meaning to the work.
5. Graduates from other fields:
Bachelors of Arts (B.A), Commerce (B.Com) Science (B.Sc.) do not lead to
a profession. Having a self Dependent profession will add
Financial & social independence,
Path to grow & prosper,
Social recognition & ambition to abide to.
a Progressive Career or Professional Goal with your creative skills. Join Interior Design profession & keeping
In a calm quiet family, who charges up the evenings or the Family events? They are those magnetic people, who bring in the flavor of energy, laughter & joy with their spontaneity & positive charismatic persona.
same way, there are specific elements in Interior Design which hold the power
to add that dynamic character & charm to a decently designed Interior
space. Following are 9 most influential elements from the long list.
1. Sunlight – The most dynamic of all live Elements is sunlight. When Sunlight penetrates deep into an Interior space, it imparts warmth, charm, brightness & positivity to the ambiance. Its ever changing reflection due to the Sun Path also adds the element of interest.
2. Live Plants – They bring in the needed pleasing sight, element of growth & prosperity to the space. They swing with the breeze; they grow a bit every day & the colorful flowers if present, as cherry on the cake. Live plants can just absorb all the toxic energy in the vicinity & add to the freshness.
3. Candles – That needed trinket of glamour is added to a mundane Interior space, through a flame of candle. It is also significant as it represents the element of FIRE which is one of the constituting factors in nature.
4. Water – Water in its purest form, flowing or stagnant has the quality to absorb the vibrations & attract attention. It can pacify the discomfort in seconds with its cooling quality. Tickling the sense of hearing, flowing water transposes the surrounding into a natural setting of a flowing cascade of water.
5. Mirror – Mirrors tend to multiply the appearance of space. They also multiply light, movement if any & the beauty around. Brown or grey mirrors add the needed glamour with their use in Interiors.
6. 3D Murals – We normally tend to buy artifacts or murals for their face value. But to me, what appeals the most is the play of shadow that it casts on the walls & the floor around, with ever changing shapes & patterns.
7. Wind Chimes – They awaken the sense of hearing & make the presence of wind significant. The ringing sound of the brass bell outside our temples or churches which is loud yet soothing brings us in the present with its long & deep reverberations. Thick & thin brass bells, earthen bells, steel or glass bells, all have distinctly identifiable sounds that can be chosen according to the space around & quantum of breeze. But they might be a point of irritation for extreme peace lovers.
8. Incense Sticks or Aroma Diffuses – Available in a variety of fragrances, these also use essential oils for the therapeutic value that stimulates brain & relaxes body. As they arouse the sense of smell & sight both, using natural flowers is also a beautiful way of achieving the needed value. Camphor also carries strong fragrance & medicinal value.
9. Abstract Art pieces – Abstract art compels the viewer to interpret it in his own way, thus engrossing the onlooker completely. The best are the ones, which can be interpreted in a different manner, every time you look at them with a different mood. This according to me a wonderful method of forgetting the world & there by meditating.
Interior Design is a field of creating a comfortable environment & not just decorating spaces.
Pinterest & parallel photo galleries have been very
meticulously designed and have evolved to flood the viewer with very
interesting ideas. What happens when these ideas start taking literal forms?
During such duplications we miss out on many aspect. A few of them have been
Suitability of Design for the available space –
In a effort to stretch or juxtapose the design with site constraints, it misses
out on the proportions and there by total effect.
Budget in Hand – If we end up compromising on a
few corner details, material selection etc to curtail budget & still think
“its very close”, the effect is lost.
Client behavior – Life of the surface finish
depends on the habits & temperaments of the users, weather effect on the
surface etc. All of these factors decide the wear n tear of the surface which
eventually governs the life after few years of completion of the work.
Hence the role of a designer here
is to judge the client first for his choices, sense of colour & related
comfort, choice of intricacy & most importantly the unrevealed actual
budget. A detailed analysis of the gallery picked image needs to be done before
the commitment for its replication is made.
Many times the designs are worked out with darker finishes, a lot of wood components, etc. The fact that they are developed for cooler climatic conditions and with an abundance of wood in the region needs to be considered. This is one amongst the several factors which are responsible for the shorter shelf life of these duplicated designs.
To sum up, client’s comfort, need
of lasting finish & apt aesthetics needs to be blended in a perfect
interior design solution. Selecting the right look & feel Designs
when collaborated with the Experience & Wisdom of an Interior Designer can
only bring the desired results for the client.